What is Sciatica?
Sciatica is a symptom that results in severe leg pain. This pain may feel like anything from a leg cramp to a shooting and excruciating pain. It can develop over time or appear without warning. Many people experience numbness or burning in their legs due to sciatica.
What Causes Sciatica?
Typically sciatica is a symptom of a pinched nerve in your lower back. The following conditions can lead to sciatica:
- Herniated or slipped disk – This can put pressure on the root of the nerve.
- Piriformis syndrome – The piriformis muscle begins to spasm, which often leads to an irritated sciatic nerve.
- Spinal stenosis – The spinal canal narrows and leads to increased pressure on the nerves.
- Spondylolisthesis – One vertebra slips out of the place and narrows the nerve exit opening.
How Can a Pueblo Chiropractor Help?
Treatment of sciatica depends on the cause. Here are some of the chiropractic treatments you may be able to expect:
- Ice therapy – The cold will help ease any inflammation or swelling.
- TENS units – These muscle-stimulating machines send an electrical current through your muscles which may help relieve your symptoms.
- Adjustments – Our chiropractors will manipulate your spine in order to relieve tension and hopefully give your sciatica some relief. This is done by properly aligning your back to reduce any irritation that causes you suffering. Your adjustment will not be painful!
If you are suffering from sciatica, be sure to call the chiropractic experts at In & Out Chiropractic. We want to help your body to be free of pain! Contact us today to learn more and schedule an appointment.